Cheese crusted grilled cheese and chutney that flies in the face of normal. You’d think it was fancy but it’s just your new favorite weeknight indulgence. So simple and so much flavor.
Makes 2 to 3 sandwiches
- Crusty bread such as a French boule or Italian (We chose a nut & seed bread from our local bakery.)
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Slices of cheese (We love Muenster, Mild Cheddar, Havarti, Cooper American)
- Locally Seasoned Chutney of your choice
- In a bowl, add soft butter, shredded cheddar, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Cut bread in 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick slices
- Generously spread one side of each slice of bread with butter mixture.
- Turn bread over and spread pesto on the other side.
- Layer bottom slice with one, two or three kinds of your favorite cheese.
- Spoon Locally Seasoned Chutney over cheese. Close sandwich with the top layer of bread.
- On the stove top, heat your skillet on medium high heat.
- Turn skillet down to medium low and add your sandwich.
- Griddle for 2 to 4 minutes per side.
- Happy Eating!
- Watch your bread and turn when it’s crispy brown the way YOU like it. Whether that’s lightly golden or dark with crispy bits will determine how long to griddle your sandwich. Butter can burn if the griddle is too hot, so give it a peek from time to time.
- Sometimes we go overboard with cheese and it doesn’t melt in the center. Simply microwave your sandwich for 20 seconds.
- Yeah, we dip that beloved pile of crispy cheese and sweet tangy chutney into cream of tomato basil soup.