This roast beef with chutney sauce is a family favorite. The beef is mouthwateringly tender and flavorful every time. The best thing about this recipe is the ability to use your favorite Locally Seasoned chutney to make the sauce. For the Holidays we make it with Ginger Plum Spice or Chocolate Fig & Walnut Chutney. On a rainy Sunday in spring we make it with Habanero Peach or Blueberry Lemon Chutney. In the fall we make it with Cherry Jalapeno Chutney. Switching up chutneys makes the sauce fresh for any season or occasion. Serves 6 to 8 with some leftovers for sandwiches.
ROAST BEEF INGREDIENTS:
- A 2 3/4 – 3 1/4 lb eye round roast (We ask our butcher to leave just a little fat on top.)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP kosher salt
- 1 TBSP black pepper
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
ROAST BEEF PREPARATION:
- In a small bowl, mix garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil to form a rub. Rub over the roast to coat all sides. This can be done up to a day ahead of time but it’s not necessary. Simply cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Allow roast to rest on the counter for about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Place oven rack in center of oven. Preheat oven to 500° F.
- Put roast inside of a cast iron skillet or roasting pan, fat side up. Cook (without opening the oven door) for 5 minutes per pound. Approximately 14 to 16 minutes.
- Without opening the oven door (this is very important,) turn off the oven. Allow the roast to continue cooking for 2 hours to 2 hours and 15 minutes depending on the size of your roast. Remember do not open the oven door.
Meanwhile make your Chutney Sauce.
CHUTNEY SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 cup Locally Seasoned Chutney (Here we used Ginger Plum Spice Chutney.***)
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 TBSP Sambal Oelek (or you can substitute 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes)
- 2 TBSP ketchup
- 4 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 4 TBSP Steak sauce
CHUTNEY SAUCE PREPARATION:
- Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse until smooth.
- Alternate: For a chunkier sauce, simply whisk ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended.
- Can be made a day ahead. Place in an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
When your roast is finished, simply slice it thin and serve with a drizzle of Chutney Sauce. Happy Eating!
- Create a variety of different flavorful Chutney Sauces using Habanero Peach Chutney, Cranberry Ginger Chutney, Chocolate Fig & Walnut Chutney, Blueberry Lemon Chutney or Cherry Jalapeno Chutney!
- Your roast beef will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Chutney Sauce will keep in an airtight container for up to 7 days in the refrigerator. Excellent on your roast beef sandwich or tossed with roasted baby potatoes.