Skewer Up Summer on the Grill Series
Looking for fresh new flavor for your summer grilling? We created these flavorful chicken skewers with grilled citrus for Susquehanna Style’s 2019 grilling issue.
Recently we revamped our original recipe to reduce sodium. Our new version is even tastier than the original! How does that happen?
So of course we had to include it in Locally Seasoned’s Skewer Up Summer series! Serve with fresh salad and a generous pile of Cranberry Ginger Chutney or Blueberry Lemon Chutney with Sumac and Chili!
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 2 TBSP fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 TBSP fresh oregano, minced (or 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 small lemon, halved or quartered
- 1 small orange, halved or quartered
- In a medium bowl whisk olive oil, parsley, lemon zest, orange zest, lemon juice, orange juice, honey, oregano and black pepper.
- Add chicken pieces and toss to coat well. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from the marinade. No need to pat it dry. Place the remaining marinade in a grill safe skillet or small pot.
- Simply thread chicken onto skewers. Don’t pack them too tight or they won’t cook evenly.
- Prepare grill or griddle for high heat cooking. Be sure to oil your cooking surface well.
- Grill chicken skewers for 4 to 5 minutes per side (no more than 15 minutes total) or until just done in the center. Chicken should register 160° in the center.
- Grill lemon and orange pieces for 3 to 4 minutes per side allowing the natural fruit sugars to caramelize and char. Set aside.
- Meanwhile bring marinade to a simmer, stirring often. Allow marinade to reduce by half. Remove from grill. (Marinade must be thoroughly cooked before serving.)
- Serve chicken skewers drizzled with reduced marinade, a squeeze of warm grilled lemon or orange and Locally Seasoned chutney alongside.
- Blue skies just kissed you on the forehead.
Interested in the original recipe?
Here you go!
For more recipes from Susquehanna Style Magazine visit SUSQUEHANNA STYLE MAGAZINE ISSUE ARCHIVE – HAPPY EATING!